Critical Reflection

 As I reflect on my goals in my self-introduction email which I aimed to be more confident in giving presentations to a larger group of participants and be more coherent in sharing my opinions with my teammates at the end of the effective communication module. Initially, the transition from being a quieter person to a louder person was difficult for me because of the need to voice out my opinions or ideas to both the class and the team. As the weeks go by, I came to realise that how important communication was as I provide my opinion, the rest of the class will be willing to improve because of my constructive feedback. I am happy to say that I have manage to improve my presentation skills even though it is at a classroom level instead of a pool of five hundred participants, with the skills applied, I am able to confidently put it to good use. I am grateful to my project team mates in helping me improve my communication skills through the mock presentations the team have gone through internally for us to streamline the presentation so that we would be able to guide each other on how to better conduct presentations.

Even though I have managed to attain my goals to a certain degree, I have understood that within these thirteen weeks of lessons it would not be easy to forgo bad communication habits and I require more time to get use to good communication skills. I would continue to express my opinions so that others could continue to understand my thoughts and be much proactive in sharing my thoughts with others. As I remember practice makes perfect, this should continue to be done instead of only during the effective communication module.

During the project, I am glad that I can be teamed with Donald, Dzuhair and Yunhuang. I can touch on the good set of skills that my teammates possesses. Donald can put thoughts into words beautifully making our points clear and succinct. Dzuhair can present very well and Yunhuang has the industry experience that gave the insights into what Land Transport Authority does. With this opportunity to work with the three of them, it was a steep learning curve for me as I was not great at these three areas, and I came to understand that how teamwork is important and how we could learn from each other along the way.

I am thankful that I glad to improve my writing skills, as it may be good to have good ideas, but the difficulty comes when it must be put down in words. I faced this issue and required sometime to get used to this process where I had to put down my ideas into words on a consistent basis. Writing is never my forte, but I find joy from learning mistakes made in my writing in terms of the phrasing of words.

As I end of this reflection, I am thankful for the skills imparted to me and how practice makes perfect is key to improving myself. This could also be beneficial to the rest when I share my feedback with the rest so that we could learn from one another.

While the module of effective communication ends but the spirit of improving communication skills will continue to stay lit and I strive to be a better communicator through my academic journey with Singapore Institute of Technology.


Comments